- After reading, discuss with your
counselor the following documents:
- Declaration of Independence
- Preamble to the Constitution
- Bill of Rights
- Amendments to the Constitution
- Name the three branches of government
and explain their functions. Explain the checks and balances on each
branch of government.
- Outline the relationships between
state and federal governments.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Visit the National Capitol.
- Visit your state capitol.
- Tour a federal installation.
Explain to your experiences to
- Name your two senators and the congressman
from your congressional district. Write a letter to one of these elected
officials on a national issue sharing your view with him or her. Show
your letter and any response to your counselor.
- What are five important functions
of your national government? Explain how these functions affect your
family and local community.
- Discuss the main ways by which our
federal government is financed.